Monday, August 22, 2011

Birthday Trip to Point Pelee

This year for my birthday I wanted to go with my family to Pelee Island. I loved it when Chris and I went two or three years ago and . We headed out early Saturday morning to catch the ferry to the island. Of course it was a mad dash to get there in time to catch the boat, lol. But we made it. We left the cars and took only our bikes and luggage across. Chris and I had packed backpacks, but my parents easily figured out how to work their suitcases with the bikes!
After checking into our bed-and-breakfast we hit the road to explore the island. We stopped at a really nice beach as we rode up the West shore. I really wanted to jump in the lake, but we had just started our day and were headed to the bakery for lunch. I didn't want to reek of seaweed just yet.












We ate lunch at Connorlee's Bakery. It was even better than I remembered. I ordered a yummy spicy turkey wrap with tomato bisque - which was the best bisque I've ever had. SO GOOD. And of course we had to follow lunch with delicious bakery deserts - white chocolate macadamia cookies and strawberry rhubarb crumble.
We continued around the island stopping for a nice walk down the Northeastern tip to the lighthouse, finding rocks, shells and sea glass (or "lake" glass rather) along the way.
After another few miles we completed our 18-or-so mile bike ride for the day. We ended at the winery, of course! We spent quite some time tasting the Pelee wines and listening to the live band. Great way to relax after our bike excursion.

After the winery we took a taxi up to the Anchor and Wheel Inn for dinner, then the rest of our evening was spent hanging out in the B&B. It was a great place to stay. We basically had an "apartment" to ourselves. And in the morning Midge (the owner) cooked a delicious breakfast for us. We really loved talking with her as we ate. She was such a great person and wonderful host. We'd love to stay with her again at her Summertime Bed and Breakfast.
Mom and I did a quick ride along the last portion of the perimeter roads that we hadn't done the day before - along the southermost portion. We stopped at the beach again looking for stones and such.
Packed and ready to catch the ferry, Mom and Dad checked out the kite museum while Chris and I got all of our ferry tickets back to the mainland (we had seen the museum last trip). Then off we went.
Back on the mainland we grabbed a quick lunch and drove to Point Pelee National Park. First stop, the visitor center while we waited for the shuttle to the point. Outside of the center we saw a flock of turkeys and this awesome lizard! It's a five-lined skink.
I love the point - waves crashing from both sides and meeting in the middle. It's so pretty. And what had started as a rainy morning had become a beautiful sunny day.
After some time at the point we loaded the shuttle back to the car so we could check out the Marsh Boardwalk before heading home. The boardwalk is my favorite part. A lovely stroll along floating docks through the marshes. Benches and a gorgeous gazebo along the way, all through a magical maze of cattails. It is so serene. It was a beautiful ride home after a perfect weekend with my wonderful husband and family - I couldn't have been happier.

No comments: