Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What A Way To End The Summer!!!

After an incredibly busy yet wonderful summer, Chris and I high-tailed it to the mountains for a relaxing getaway before it's back to the books for me. We went to the Adirondacks in New York to spend the week. The park was amazing. Such an odd contrast for us - we're used to national parks with practically no civilization to speak of. This park has many interesting and quaint small towns scattered throughout the beautiful woods and gorgeous mountains.

We had planned on spending several days driving all throughout the park, but upon entering the town of Lake Placid we decided to stop for a couple of days. It was such a wonderful place. Beautiful views, fantastic shops and restaurants... I could easily go back EVERY summer.

Our second day there we decided to go to the top of nearby Whiteface Mountain because we heard it's the best view around. It's the fifth tallest peak in New York. That morning on our drive to the mountain, I couldn't contain the tears as I was overwhelmed by the beauty of it all. There were several scenic stops along the way. The lakes, the rivers, the early morning mist, the blue rolling mountains... it was so much to take in.
We got to the top of the mountain, where the car must be parked and you hike to the peak on foot. There is a visitor station at the very top of a winding and uneven rocky climb (which I am proud to say that I did in Steve Madden wedges).



From the top of Whiteface Mountain, there are no words to describe the view. Vast, breathtaking, heavenly... none do it justice. We wandered to the edge of the mountain and just tried to take it in.At one point my camera card filled up and I began deleting pictures. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chris stooped down behind me. I asked, "What are you doing?" and I turned around to find him on his knee on the edge of the mountain. He asked me to marry him. For a few moments all I could do was just hug him and fight the sobs. Then I said yes and he placed the GORGEOUS ring on my finger. It couldn't have been more perfect, and I couldn't be happier.And just look at my ring!

Didn't he do a fantastic job!!





After the proposal we still had a couple of days left in New York. We hiked along a waterfall and did a cave tour.

On the tour we were lead through the cave to an underground lake. We then toured the lake on a boat (basically a gondola) lit only by candle lanterns we were given - all other lights were turned off. When we returned to solid ground we had to navigate our way through the cave with only the lanterns to light our path. It was such a neat experience!

One more stop in Saratoga Springs to see the race track (where they filmed the movie SeaBiscuit). But with so much excitement to come home and share we actually cut our trip a day short and headed for home to share the news.

New York was such a beautiful place, one of the prettiest I've seen. It was much more than I had expected. Yet as wonderful as the trip was, after as much driving as we had done we couldn't get home fast enough!

No comments: